JOB TITLE: Network Engineer
DEPARTMENT: Network Engineering
LOCATION(S): Phelps, NY
REPORTS TO: COO
EXTERNAL RELATIONSHIPS: Customers, Vendors, Consultants, Other Carriers, Tech support centers.
The Network Engineer is responsible for configuring and supporting corporate routers and switches, and core router services that are customer facing. The Network Engineer is also responsible for testing, documenting, and designing, core solutions for new and existing products. Reviews traffic data for equipment utilization and generates reports. Included are all nodes that connect to the network such as, but not limited to, routers, switches, and access points. Functions as a technical resource to external and internal customers as required.
PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for installing and performing acceptance testing on equipment additions to the network. This includes, but is not limited to, routers, switches, firewalls, access points, as well as all central office networking equipment. Be involved in and provide technical support to consultants and vendors in the planning and engineering of current and new IP technology. Build and maintain inventory of equipment, including assignment records, for the IP network.
- Responsible for modifying core routers and switches to turn up, repair, or enhance IP services.
- Responsible for maintaining Corporate IP Network infrastructure and phone system. This includes but is not limited to configuration changes, product recommendations, software upgrades, and any other function to ensure the reliability and security of our corporate network.
- Responsible for troubleshooting for DSL and fiber escalations from the technical support group pertaining to internet and network issues. Working with the technical support group as well as other departments to ensure the problem is resolved and customer services are restored.
- Responsible for modifications to core routers and switches
- Responsible for troubleshooting and repairing internet service issues. This includes but is not limited to troubleshooting and determining root cause and resolution for IP services such as DHCP, DNS, POP3, SMTP, WWW through the core network. If necessary working with other departments, carriers, and customers to ensure problem resolution.
- Serve as backup for other technicians during times of emergencies, vacations, and other times as required. Participates in the “on-call” duty rotation.
- Responsible for developing SOPs and MOPs for roll out of products. Also responsible for creating templates for network designs, creating drawings, and ensuring proper back up of configuration files.
- Responsible for understanding QOS tagging on various platforms to ensure priority of VoIP traffic.
- Works on assigned projects. Performs other duties as necessary.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent from a four-year college or technical school; or four years of related experience and/or training in an IP networking field; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Advanced knowledge of Cisco, Adtran and Calix a must. Knowledge of dynamic routing protocols including BGP and OSPF.
CCNA Service Provider.
Four years experience in performing routing, switching, firewalling services.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public. Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts and interest. Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables. Must be computer literate and have experience with routers, switches, firewalls, wireless access points, phone systems and other networking equipment. Demonstrated skill in managing multiple simultaneous activities.
Valid NYS Driver’s License.
ADDITIONAL PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
Familiarity with Voice including SIP and TDM
Familiarity in Linux
Microsoft Active Directory
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and taste or smell. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
A successful candidate must possess excellent communication skills both written and oral. Specific areas of communication are required for negotiating client specifications, communicating client requirements externally and internally, writing systems documentation and client correspondence.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts and risk of electrical shock. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals; outside weather conditions; risk of radiation; and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
WEEKEND / CALL REQUIREMENTS:
On call nights, weekends and holidays on rotation. After hours work as necessary to meet customer requirements.